One simply has to utter the words ‘science of the cosmos’ and I will stop what I’m doing to listen. There is just something so mystifying and beautiful about galaxies and stars and the Horsehead Nebula. Recently, one of my favorite Facebook pages posted a bunch of ‘mind-blowing facts’ about the universe, and I’ve selected a handful to share:
- According to astronauts, space smells like seared steak, hot metal and welding fumes.
- If you could compress the Earth down to the size of a marble, it would collapse in on itself and become a black hole.
- 25,000,000 of your cells died while you read this sentence. It’s okay, though, your body made more than 300 billion new ones today.
- If we had a sufficiently powerful/precise telescope and a large enough mirror perfectly placed 22 light-years away, we could watch the Apollo landings happen in real time next year.
- If we are made of atoms, then a scientist studying atoms is actually a group of atoms studying themselves.
- The Earth’s rotation is slowing at a rate of approximately 17 milliseconds a century, and the length of a day for the dinosaurs was closer to 22 hours.
- The time difference between when Tyrannosaurus and Stegosaurus lived is greater than the time difference between Tyrannosaurus and now.
- The 2011 earthquake in Japan shortened days on Earth by 1.8 microseconds.
- 90% of your body mass is, in fact, stardust, because all the elements except hydrogen and helium are created in stars.
- The entire internet is stored and delivered using 540 billion trillion electrons. Which, all together, weigh around 50 grams. Or about the weight of one strawberry.
And my favorite…
- You have two eyes, each composed of 130 million photoreceptor cells. In each one of those cells, there are 100 trillion atoms (that’s more than all the stars in the Milky Way galaxy combined!). Each atom, in each cell, in each eye, formed in the core of a star billions of years ago, and yet here they are today, being utilized to capture the energy released from that same process — all to expand the consciousness that is you. The universe sure has interesting sense of irony: you are the universe experiencing itself.
“You are the universe, expressing itself as a human for a little while.” — Eckhart Tolle
Source: I Fucking Love Science